1. US GDP Growth Signals Strong Economy
- Mr. Christopher Waller, a member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve (Fed), emphasized the robustness of the United States’ third-quarter GDP, which expanded by 4.9% when adjusted for the annual value. He noted the importance of monitoring GDP data for future decisions on the policy interest rate.
2. US Economy’s Growth Projections
- The Federal Reserve’s Atlanta Branch released the latest GDPNow forecast model, indicating that the US economy is expected to expand by 2.1% in the fourth quarter of 2023. This follows growth rates of 2.2%, 2.1%, and 4.9% in the first, second, and third quarters, respectively.
3. Memorial Ceremony for Gaza Border Incident
- Israel held a ceremony to commemorate the deaths of approximately 3,000 Hamas fighters who crossed the Gaza Strip border in an attack on Israel on October 7. This event resulted in around 1,400 casualties, including abducted individuals, both Israelis and foreigners.
4. Rising Death Toll in Gaza
- Gaza’s Ministry of Health reported a rising death toll in the region since the outbreak of conflict between Israel and Hamas on October 7. The toll now stands at 10,328, with more than 4,100 children among the victims, and over 25,400 individuals injured.
5. Israel’s Plan to Hire Indian Workers
- According to Voice of America (VOA), Israel is considering hiring approximately 100,000 Indian workers to replace around 90,000 Palestinian workers whose contracts were terminated. This action follows an incursion by the Hamas group across the Gaza Strip border and an attack on Israel on October 7.
6. US Trade Deficit Widens
- The US Department of Commerce revealed that the US trade deficit in goods and services increased by 4.9% to $61.5 billion in September. This figure exceeded analysts’ expectations, which had projected a deficit of $59.9 billion.
7. Sanofi Faces Investigation
- CNBC reports that French prosecutors have initiated an investigation into Sanofi, a major French pharmaceutical company. The investigation pertains to allegations of stock price manipulation in the market, particularly related to the 2017 launch of Dupixent.
8. Key Economic Data Releases
- Important economic data releases are expected today, including Japan revealing foreign exchange reserves for October, South Korea disclosing the current account balance for September, Germany reporting inflation data for October, the EU revealing retail sales for September, and the United States releasing wholesale inventory stocks for September. These reports will provide insights into the global economic landscape.
These are the notable news topics worth following today, covering a wide range of economic, international, and corporate developments. Stay informed and updated on these critical stories.