Here are some key news highlights from around the world:
- Fed Meeting Expectations: Goldman Sachs analysts predict that the US Federal Reserve (Fed) will likely maintain interest rates at its upcoming meeting on November 1. Expectations are that the Fed may revise its forecast for US economic growth during its meeting scheduled for September 19-20.
- Thai-French Visa Agreement: Thailand and France have signed a visa exemption agreement for short stays by holders of official passports. This move aims to facilitate official visits and enhance cooperation between the two countries, as announced by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Evergrande Woes Continue: Several employees of a Chinese wealth management business associated with Evergrande Group have been arrested by Shenzhen police. These developments underscore the challenges faced by Evergrande, including its massive debt problems.
- TikTok’s US E-commerce Push: TikTok, the popular short video app, is set to leverage its 150 million American users and strong video capabilities to enter the US e-commerce market.
- Hong Kong Stock Decline: Chinese companies listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange experienced a decline in their share prices amid concerns that the real estate crisis in China could impact the domestic economic recovery.
- Tesla Factory in Turkey: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has extended an invitation to Tesla CEO Elon Musk to build a Tesla car factory in Turkey.
- Singapore’s Export Decline: Enterprise Singapore reported that exports of domestically produced general goods, excluding oil (NODX), fell by 20.1% year-on-year in August. This marks the 11th consecutive month of decline.
- JPEX Cryptocurrency Trading Suspension: Japanese cryptocurrency trading platform JPEX announced a trading suspension following an investigation by Hong Kong police.
- Taiwan Faces Increased Chinese Military Activity: Taiwan’s Ministry of Defense revealed that the Chinese military sent 103 warplanes toward Taiwan in just 24 hours, marking a recent high in daily records.
- Leadership Change at RBA: Philip Lowe officially handed over the position of Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) to Michelle Bullock. Bullock, previously serving as RBA Deputy Governor, is now the first female governor of the RBA.
- Drone Incident in Iran: Iranian state media reported that a drone crashed into a residential area in Gorgan, Golestan Province, northern Iran.
These headlines offer a snapshot of the key events and developments shaping today’s news landscape on a global scale.